The Music Venue Trust charity has teamed up with TCB Merchandise and live agent/promoter Neil O’Brien to launch a new initiative aiming to help support music venues across the UK affected by Covid-19.
At the present moment, over 400 venues are at imminent risk of being permanently closed as a result of the Covid-19 crisis. Music Venue Trust is working to the goal that not a single venue should be closed.
Called ‘The Writing Is On The Wall’, the initiative is aiming to raise money by reproducing high quality wall posters of the respective venues’ most historic gigs and making them available for collectors to buy.
Neil O’Brien said, “I saw a post last week from MVT’s Mark Davyd highlighting the imminent problems that the famous Camden venue The Dublin Castle was facing, and that they needed £30,000 to prevent closure. It got me thinking: what is it that every venue has that they can use to raise funds whilst they are closed? The posters on the wall. Every venue creates its own unique posters and advertising, and I thought by being able to reproduce them and sell to fans, collectors and supporters we could do something immediately to raise money.”
MVT founder and CEO Mark Davyd said, “Each venue has a unique heritage and many will have hosted legendary concerts and artists. Part of each venue’s unique heritage is their own posters, leaflets and advertising from those said concerts. There is now a way that each venue can benefit from this financially, with fans able to play their part in saving their venues by owning a limited edition piece of art memorabilia.”
Adding his support to the campaign, the legendary music promoter Vince Power C.B.E said, “This is an emergency for every venue. I currently operate three venues in London and anything that can help us remain in business is a good thing. I have promoted many thousands of memorable shows over the last thirty five years and if our old posters and designs can be turned into real money and relive those great memories then hopefully it will help us all when we reopen. It is a great idea and I urge every venue to get involved and every fan of live music to take a look at the collection.”
‘The Writing Is On The Wall’ series is available to browse and buy now from the designated gallery on the TCB Merchandise website (www.tcbmerchandise.com), which will be regularly updated as more and more venues submit their poster designs.
The A3-size posters will be printed on a FSC 180gsm premium heavy weight coated Matt Paper producing high resolution prints in photo quality
Of the money raised, venues will receive 80% after VAT and costs, with TCB Merchandise using the remaining 20% to cover their fulfilment and campaign costs.
Upon sale of 75% of the original run of posters, venues have an option of having a t-shirt design produced, based on the same arrangement of covering manufacturing and fulfilment costs.
Sales of 75% of the original poster would also result in venues being able to produce a second poster design of their choice for sale.
TCB Merchandise founder Guy Gillam added, “I’ve been touring the UK for over 35 years and have either worked or enjoyed a show at most of the venues that will be involved in this campaign. Anything I can do to help preserve their heritage is in everyone’s best interests.”